Purpose of Trip: To see the Ho-Chunk Youth Services Learning Center and meet up with Mandy.
Dates: February 15, 2012
TLAM Members: Kelly Kraemer, Travis Mueller, Rachael Page, Janice Rice, Dorothy Terry, and Phillip Yocham
On February 15th, some of the new members of the Ho-Chunk Youth Services Learning Center Project along with Kelly Kraemer and Janice Rice all went up to the center to meet with Mandy and see the center for the first time.
When we arrived at the center, we received a new box of books for cataloging in LibraryThing. Kelly gave us a brief crash course on how to use LibraryThing and gave each of us a chance to try cataloging a book.
After everyone had their chance, Mandy arrived and we had a brief meeting to discuss a few things. Below is what we discussed:
- How to label the books.
- We decided to take the new box of books back to SLIS to put them in LibraryThing. This will be an opportunity for the few that couldn’t come to the trip to learn how to use LibraryThing.
- Acquiring Bookcases and Booktrucks
- Shifting the tags on LibraryThing a bit.
- Issues with organizing the huge Fiction collection differently. Labeling the books with the color and shape schema along with author in alphabetical order seems to be the best resolution so far.
- We also discussed when to meet next.
After the meeting, Mandy gave us a brief tour of the place. In addition, we also had the chance to meet the director of the Center, Lightning New Rider and a very friendly guy named Chuck.
Special thanks to Kelly and Janice for taking the time and giving us a ride up to the place and back. Also special thanks to Mandy for taking the time to sit down with us to discuss things and for giving us a tour of the Ho-Chunk Wellness Center.
If you have any questions or comments, or would like some more clarification on our trip and what we learned, please don’t hesitate to comment below.
- Phillip Yocham